- Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation
- Medication Management
- Collaboration with your current mental health provider
- Prompt Response to Phone Calls
The first and most crucial step in receiving the appropriate mental health treatment is a thorough psychiatric evaluation to rule out any underlying mental illness. During this process, I take special care in obtaining your “life story,” which in turn, enables me to have an intelligent and informed discussion with you about your issues and the most effective treatment choices for you. If there are any issues or situations which you feel uncomfortable discussing during the initial psychiatric evaluation, please let me know beforehand.
The initial assessment entails the following:
- Detailed description of your current symptoms, life circumstances, and concerns that have compelled you to seek out treatment for a potential mental illness.
- Extensive review of past mental health treatment, including prior psychotherapy, medication trials, hospitalizations, and substance abuse history.
- Special attention is paid to the description of any patterns in behavior, coping styles, and mood changes that have evolved from childhood to the present and may have had an impact your mental health.
- Medical history is obtained including a detailed family history of any mental illness treatment.
During the initial visit, or subsequent sessions, if it is determined that medication may be helpful in relieving your distress, various options will be discussed. I am dedicated to spending time educating you about your treatment options and addressing all of your concerns regarding your mental health.
Please refer to My Medication Philosophy for more information.
I provide individual psychotherapy, usually in conjunction with medication therapy. Although psychiatric symptoms may frequently be due to genetics, life’s hardships, losses, and traumas can also have a profound impact on your mental health. If appropriate, these issues will be addressed as part of your treatment.
Many clients who are already in psychotherapy, but are having difficulty working on their issues due to intense anxiety, depression, or mood swings, are referred for a psychiatric evaluation and medication management only. In such cases, I am more than happy to work with your psychotherapist to ensure that ALL of your needs are addressed.
Helen, my administrative assistant is available to answer your calls Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 9AM to 4PM, and on Wednesday and Friday from 9AM to 3PM. She will contact me if you have any concerns regarding your medication or treatment. After office hours, you can reach me by pager for emergencies.
Please contact me to schedule an appointment at one of my Long Island offices located in Glen Cove, Westbury, and Jamesport.