Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Are you constantly running late or losing things? Do you wonder why someone as smart and talented as you can't seem to achieve your goals? Most people are able to ignore distractions and focus on tasks they need to complete. However, if your short attention span prevents you from completing day to day activities, or focusing on a conversation, this can be a sign of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (more commonly known as ADHD)
Some people only have difficulty focusing, while others are so hyper they can't sit still, or stand in line. Trying to compensate for these symptoms can be exhausting. Many people give up and settle for doing less than they are capable of. They may be labeled as lazy.
People with ADHD tend to be extremely creative and bright. They simply need the proper treatment to clear the static in their brains.
People with symptoms of ADHD often:
- Have short attention spans; are easily distracted.
- Behave impulsively.
- Are restless, forgetful, and have low frustration tolerance.
- Cannot stand in line.
- Have difficulty completing tasks, reading a book, watching a movie.
- Feel hyper.
- Speak fast.
- Have difficulty maintaining relationships.
- Know they are intelligent but can't seem to succeed at what they want.
- Have difficulty concentrating.
- Daydream excessively.
- Exert a lot of energy to do things that seem to come easily for others.
- Have difficulty at school and work, tend to drop out of school, and have multiple jobs.
- Have had a history of substance abuse.
- Frequently lose or misplace things.
- Feel 'scattered'.
- Procrastinate a lot.
- Start to question their intelligence.
- Believe that their choices in life are limited.
- Have a family member with similar characteristics.
- Have low self-esteem; feel like they are a failure.
- Become depressed.
- Want to take control of their lives.
- Say they feel calmer when they use illicit substances.
Please contact me to schedule an appointment in either my Westbury or Glen Cove office on Long Island, NY.