About Kyra Sposato, NP
I am a New York state licensed Nurse Practitioner in psychiatry, with 26 years of experience as a psychotherapist and 14 years of experience as a psychopharmacologist. I have been a Long Island mental health therapist in private practice providing mental health treatment for 11 years.>
For some of you, the thought of revealing personal information to someone you don't know can seem intimidating. As a mental health therapist who also prescribes medication, I provide psychiatric treatment in a trusting, compassionate, and nonjudgmental setting. My style is professional, yet warm and friendly. Your treatment is highly personalized. Too often, psychiatrists overly focus on medications and do not explore other important aspects of your life, such as relationships, family, and work issues. I am not only interested in how your medications are working, but I also discuss other areas of your life which can have an impact on your mental health. I listen to you and give you feedback. For those struggling with emotional issues, I may ask you to complete 'homework assignments' to help you take the steps you need to make changes in your life.
Education and Experience
- AS degree as a Registered Nurse from Farmingdale University.
- BS degree as a Registered Nurse from Molloy College.
- MS degree as a Nurse Practitioner in psychiatry from Stony Brook University.
- Psychiatric training at North Shore Hospital in Manhasset.
- Internship at Long Island Counseling Center in Elmont, followed by an additional eight years of experience on staff, providing psychiatric treatment.
- Twenty three years of experience in psychotherapy and psychopharmacology on a multidisciplinary treatment team at a residential substance abuse treatment facility.
- Eleven years of experience in private practice specializing in the treatment of:
- Anxiety and Panic Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Adult Attention Deficit Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Nurse Practitioner, License #F400362
- Registered Nurse, License #3803291
- Credentialed Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselor, #9762
- Certified Eating Disorder Therapist
- Certified Grief and Bereavement Therapist
If you are seeking a Long Island Psychiatrist or Mental Health Therapist, please consider a Nurse Practitioner in Psychiatry. Please contact me to schedule an appointment in either my Westbury or Glen Cove office.